A healthy weight can be maintained by balancing the amount of energy going into a child's body as food and drink with the energy used for their body to function, grow and be physically active. Eating a balanced diet and leading an active lifestyle helps maintain a healthy weight.
- Be more physically active, or 'move more'. Children should be active every day in as many ways as they can. And being involved can help parents meet their recommended 30 minutes of physical activity on most days.
- Encourage family activities that include enjoyable physical activity for everyone.
- Ensure a safe environment for children and their friends to engage in active play, eg swimming, cycling, ball sports.
- Decrease the time spent in sedentary activities, eg watching TV, playing video and computer games.
- Encourage 'active commuting' such as walking to school, the bus, or the shops when appropriate.